Sunday, July 30, 2017

Payah, a Gift from Children's Author Margaret Lim



Margaret Lim, seated second from right, next to Sharnaz Saberi, host of Kuppa Kopi
In May 2010, I met Margaret Lim, a Malaysian-born Canadian children’s book author, while we were waiting to be made-up for our TV appearance on Kuppa Kopi, a talk show with Sharnaz Saberi.  We exchanged books; in fact she generously gave me all four of her Payah books.  She autographed them for my two children Jason and Justin.

Afterwards we went out for tea.  Her son asked me to give her a ride while he picked up another friend and the four of us spend the afternoon getting to know each other while talking about books and blogs and exchanged tips about Sarawak.

Later, while watching myself and Margaret Lim on TV1 (her segment followed mine), my son Jason, who was six at the time, pointed to the TV screen at Margaret Lim’s children book series about Payah, and said, “Daddy, that’s my book!”  He called over Justin, who was three and a half, and they both stood in front of the TV, excitedly pointing at their four newest books.

“Is that the woman who gave me the books?” Jason asked me.

“Yes, and she wrote the books, too!”

He studied her with awe.  I’m sure he’s going to remember Margaret Lim and that moment for a long time.  But me, I’m just his daddy who happens to be a writer, though I was also on TV—not that he gave a hoot!  In fact he and Justin were both upset with me for changing the channel until he noticed Margaret Lim’s books were on TV.  The power of books!


Georgette Tan, Robert Raymer and Sharnaz Saberi

The following May, I was sad to hear that Margaret Lim Hui Lian had passed away from cancer.  Although we had kept in contact via email and commented on each other’s blogs, I never saw her again.  

Her Payah series, however, still live on in our house.   In fact, I made this past week Margaret Lim week!  I had Justin, now ten, reread the books (he’s the reader in the family and had read them before, even though they were meant for child­ren age 12 and above).  I then had Jason, who turned thirteen, read all four of the books to me while I drove him to school (he’s now in Form One, attending the afternoon session), while I reread all four waiting for a couple of doctor’s appointments—I was glad I had them in the car!  I had also read them to the children seven years ago.

The Payah series, consisting of four hard bound books, were based on recollections of Margaret’s childhood, which she spent with the native people deep in the interior of Sarawak on the Island of Borneo.  The books were beautifully il­lustrated by her daughter Su Jen Buchheim and published by her own company Fairy Bird Children's Books, where I believe they can still be ordered.


The Borneo Post called Payah, “A uniquely Sarawakian children’s book that will fire a child’s imagination. A must read for all!”

Payah
Payah is about a fearless Kayan girl called Payah, who has a soft heart for small helpless crea­tures. Deep in the rainforest of Sarawak, Payah rescues a hornbill and a mouse deer, while still taking care of a baby orangutan.

Four Eyes
Payah makes a surprising discovery, and takes on a responsibility that becomes almost too much for her to bear when she befriends a run-away.

Precious Jade and Turnip Head
Payah celebrates Chinese New Year with her classmate, Precious Jade, and her little brother Turnip Head, who keeps getting himself and Payah’s friend into trouble.

Nonah, or The Ghost of Gunung Mulu
Payah befriends Nonah, after she joins her parents who teach in the rainforest.  They win a trip to Mulu Caves, where they help to unravel a plot to steal rare orchids.


Thank you, Margaret, again for your precious books, a gift that our family will continue to treasure. I’m sure when Jason and Justin grow up and have children of their own, the Payah books will be waiting for them.  In fact, I’ll probably be the one who’ll introduce them during another round of Margaret Lim week…


*Here is an updated website created in the memory of Margaret H.L. Lim, called Maggie’s Books and Recipes.
 

       —BorneoExpatWriter

June 2018 Update- ebooks! 
 
Interview with Golda Mowe, author of Iban Dreams and Iban Journey, another Sarawakian writer who has also written a book for children.

 


2 comments:

EinZen said...

Hello Robert,
this is Margaret's son, Einhard. Hope you and your family are doing well. Thank you for your blog post about our mom. It's great to know that Margaret has touched and inspired lives, and that people are still remembering her. The website http://margaretlim.webs.com/ is going to expire soon, but I am building a new one on a different webhost. I will post the link to the new site here when it goes live.
Best,
Einhard

Borneo Expat Writer said...

Einhard,
Good to hear from you! Every time I see her books I think of your mother. She made a nice, warm first impression. I immediately liked her and was touched by her generosity.
Glad to repay the favor with a small tribute. Feel free to link it to the new website. Donated 80% of our children books but kept hers, a gift we still treasure! All the best!