Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Blog to Paying Article—Twice

I love getting good news early in the morning, which is how I usually get them since in Borneo we’re a half day ahead of the West.  One of my blogs just sold for the second time!  This is one of the reasons I blog, so I can get some stuff written, posted, and then the marketable ones that can be reshaped into articles, I send them out to a paying market, over here in Malaysia for starters, and then I’ll either expand or compress it for the overseas market.  

I blogged about The Power of Five back in September, which ran for 771 words, then I rewrote it and expanded it for Quill for their January-March 2011 issue, about 1050 words. Now The Writer wants me to compress it 700 words to make it fit onto one page to be published sometime in the future.  It could be a while before it actually comes out. 

Still it’s a nice feeling, and a nice reminder that my ideas not only works for me, which I practice in my own writing life (or at least try too, the very reason I post them so they’ll also benefit others and remind me to continue to do this since it works!), but also for editors in Malaysia and in the United States who feel that those ideas will work for their readers, too.   

This has happened several times now, a double publication from a single blog posting.  Sometimes the order is reversed.  First it appear in the US, again The Writer, like “Getting Started with Pre-writing Techniques” in their May 2010 issue, and then reprinted for Quill Annual 2011, both of which I then post as a blog.  This particular article began when I created my teaching units for my creative writing class, and then made its way to my website, if I’m not mistaken, and both of these have been popular among writers and even cited by other writers.

Again, this is why I blog.  There are other reasons, too, but I’ll save those for future blogs.  



Here are links to some of my author-to-author interviews of first novelists, blogged and then published:

Ivy Ngeow author of Cry of the Flying Rhino, winner of the 2016 Proverse Prize.

Golda Mowe author of Iban Dream and Iban Journey.

Preeta Samarasan author of Evening is the Whole Day

Chuah Guat Eng,  author of Echoes of Silence and Days of Change. 

Plus:

Beheaded on Road to Nationhood: Sarawak Reclaimed—Part I 

No comments: