(From left) Yeoh Gim Suan, Bernice Chauly, Kuan Guat Choo, Datuk Wong Sulong, MPH Group Publishing’s Ivy Tan (representing Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad) and Hanley Chew.
As a past winner for the Popular-The Star Readers’ Choice Awards (2009, Lovers and Strangers Revisited, fiction) and also a nominee (2010 Tropical Affairs, nonfiction) I know what it feels like to be present when they call your name as the winner, and also the let down when they don’t call your name.
This year the honor for fiction went to Hotel Tales by Hanley Chew, who collaborated on the book with writer Choy Ee Ling.
Second prize winner was 4...5...6 by Kuan Guat Choo, a friend of mine who has been nominated several times now and finally wins! Congrats!
The third prize winner is Melody of Love & Other Stories by Yeoh Gim Suan.
For nonfiction, the winner was A Doctor In The House: The Memoirs of Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad by former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
Second place was Notes To The Prime Minister: The Untold Story Of How Malaysia Beat The Currency Speculators by Datuk Wong Sulong.
In third place Growing Up With Ghosts by Bernice Chauly, another friend
Here are the ten nominees for both categories (in no particular order) as listed in The Star:
1. Hotel Tales by Hanley Chew
2. 4...5...6 by Kuan Guat Choo
3. Malaysian Tales: Retold & Remixed by Daphne Lee
4. Bitter-Sweet Harvest by Chan Ling Yap
5. Melody Of Love & Other Stories by Yeoh Gim Suan
6. The Dulang Washer by Paul Callan
7. The Female Cell by Rumaizah Abu Bakar
8. DUKE: Inspector Misla & The DUKExpressway Murders by Rozlan Mohd Noor
9. Malacca: A Romance by Kamsiah M. Bostock
10. The Amok Of Mat Solo by Salleh Ben Joned
1. A Doctor In The House by Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad
2. Teohlogy by Patrick Teoh
3. Notes To The Prime Minister by Wong Sulong
4. Kopitiam Chit Chat by Peggy Tan Pek Tao
5. Unmistakably Chinese, Genuinely Malaysian by Rita Sim
6. Patriots & Pretenders: The Malayan Peoples’ Independence Struggle by Kua Kia Soong
7. A Map Of Trengganu by Awang Goneng
8. Found In Malaysia (Vol. 2) by The Nut Graph
9. Coming Of Age: A Decade Of Essays 2001-2011 by Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad
10. Growing Up With Ghosts by Bernice Chauly