Monday, April 23, 2012

Kuching and KK: Two Creative Writing Workshops in June 2012.


Kuching:

The Writing Your Life Stories Workshop—Kuching that was originally scheduled for 28 April 2012 has been postponed until 23 June.  Instead of starting at 8.30am, it will now begin at 1.30pm.  My apologies for any inconvenience.

For full details and to sign up please go here

Kota Kinabalu:

A Facebook Public Event has been set up by Sana.Sini.Situ for the Creative Writing Workshop with Robert Raymer.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 from 1:00pm until 6:00pm at TBA in Kota Kinabalu.

It states:


Robert Raymer will be coming back to KK for another creative writing workshop!

Title: Story Mechanics, Manuscript Formatting and Internal Logic or How to Make Your Stories Believable and Saleable

Formatting your stories to the 'international' standard
Using dialogue
Analysing samples of short stories
Would s/he really do that? - story believability
Editing samples of writing

Registration fee: RM120 per pax (RM100 for students)

Light refreshments included

About Robert Raymer:-
Named as one of the “50 Expats You Should Know” by Expatriate Lifestyle, American Robert Raymer is a freelance editor, writing consultant, and author who has taught creative writing at two Malaysian universities, was the editor of Silverfish New Writings 4, has judged short story competitions, and conducted numerous workshops on writing and creative writing. His short stories and articles have been published over 500 times in The Literary Review, Thema, Aim, London Magazine, Going Places, My Weekly, The Writer and Reader’s Digest. Lovers and Strangers Revisited (MPH 2008), a collection of short stories set in Malaysia, winner of the 2009 Popular-The Star Readers Choice Awards, has been taught in several universities and private colleges and currently being translated into French. Tropical Affairs: Episodes from an Expat's Life in Malaysia (MPH 2009) is a collection of creative nonfiction about living in Malaysia for over twenty years. His latest book is Spirit of Malaysia (Editions Didier Millet). His blog on writing is at borneoexpatwriter.blogspot.com

To register please go to this site.

*Here is a link to my first KK workshop 2011, second KK workshop 2011 and third KK workshop 2011. There are also blog links from participants.  And my previous workshop in Kuching,

**If you are interested to bring one of my writing workshops to your organizations or association in Sabah/Sarawak/West Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei please contact me at robert@borneoexpatwriter.com  Thank you.

Here are links to some of my author-to-author interviews of first novelists:

Ivy Ngeow author of Cry of the Flying Rhino, winner of the 2016 Proverse Prize.

Golda Mowe author of Iban Dream and Iban Journey.

Preeta Samarasan author of Evening is the Whole Day

Chuah Guat Eng,  author of Echoes of Silence and Days of Change. 

Plus:

Beheaded on Road to Nationhood: Sarawak Reclaimed—Part I 

9 comments:

sintaicharles said...

Where is TBA?

sintaicharles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sintaicharles said...

My, I have already spent Almost RM 650 on the purchase of a return ticket and the reservation of a room for the trip to Kuching.
I have no choice but still come to Kuching. is it possible to meet you?

Borneo Expat Writer said...

Yes, my apologies, I sent you an email yesterday and we can still meet on Saturday afternoon. In the email I suggested you send me some of your work in advance; instead of at 5, maybe around 2-2:15 at Khatulistia Cafe at waterfront, opposite Crown Majestic.

TBA, I have no idea. Check with Sabrina in KK via her facebook or email.

sintaicharles said...

thanks, Robert.

sintaicharles said...

I will wait for you at Khatulistiwa cafe. my short story will be posted to you this evening. it is quite long, 18 pages.

Borneo Expat Writer said...

Good, thanks. I'll be looking forward to reading it, editing it, and then we can discuss how we can improve it.

sintaicharles said...

I emailed you my stories yesterday. hope they are in your inbox now.

Borneo Expat Writer said...

Got them, thanks.