Sunday, January 30, 2011

Getting Started with Pre-Writing Techniques - Quill Annual 2011

This is a revised, expanded version of last year's article in The Writer.
Note for Illustration 1, circles should be used, not squares.




****Announcement latest workshop:  Writing Your Life Stories Workshop—Kuching! 28 April 2012 (with links to other workshops and writing tips!) 

If you are interested to bring one of my writing workshops to your organizations or association in Sabah/Sarawak/West Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei please contact me at robert@borneoexpatwriter.com  Thank you.

*Update, the 20th anniversary of Lovers and Strangers Revisited

Here are links to some of my author-to-author interviews of first novelists:

Ivy Ngeow author of Cry of the Flying Rhino, winner of the 2016 Proverse Prize.

Golda Mowe author of Iban Dream and Iban Journey.

Preeta Samarasan author of Evening is the Whole Day

Chuah Guat Eng,  author of Echoes of Silence and Days of Change. 

Plus:

Beheaded on Road to Nationhood: Sarawak Reclaimed—Part I

4 comments:

Borneo Expat Writer said...

© Timothy John Cody has left a new comment on your post "Get Started with Prewriting Techniques -The Writer...":

Its so funny how you learn all this in english in 8th grade, and then again in college using the MLA format and all that jazz. But its crazy how often a writer forgets to use these valuable principles when not in the classroom structured environment! Great read! I took notes and It's only gonna sharpen and temper my focus even more.

Borneo Expat Writer said...

Timothy,

Somehow I accidentally deleted your comment, so I recreated it from the email notification.

Glad you found it it helpful. I hesitated posting it since I posted The Writer article last May, but thought, just in case someone missed it...

In eight grade, we think we'll never need to use any of this stuff, our minds elsewhere (usually on girls). Then later, we scratch our heads. This all seems vaguely familiar.

I've had colleagues at the university here in Malaysia who learned this when they studied overseas in the US or UK, and I asked them, do you teach it to your students, and they look at me funny, as if that thought had never occurred to them in the ten years they've been teaching!

Daniel said...

Thanks a lot for this. I can't seem to enlarge the first page, has the file disappeared?

Borneo Expat Writer said...

Daniel,
Thanks! Just fixed it!