Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Writing is a Little of This and a Little of That

Writing, for me, has always been a little of this and a little of that, and this past week was the perfect example. While finishing up the revising of my novel A Season for Fools for the 2010 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award, (a short listed finalist for the 2009 Wisdom-Faulkner contest), I also checked the proofs for my short story, “The Future Barrister” which will be appearing in an upcoming edition of Descant, a literary journal in Canada.

Then May Lee, the editor of Quill, requested a rewrite of the article “Writing about Your Adventures and Misadventures” based on my book, Tropical Affairs: Episodes of Expat’s Life in Malaysia for their April-June 2010 issue. She offered some helpful suggestions and I did some additional cutting and adding where necessary, glad to have another look.

Penang Players contacted me and are interested in putting on my comedy One Drink Too Many, which I had adapted from my short story “Neighbours” from Lovers and Strangers Revisited. I went through the play a few times, revising where necessary. Previously they had play-read it twice (once the whole thing, then about half of it in 2006 as part of my book launch) and are now considering a full production in 2010, something I’m naturally looking forward too – my first play!

I also drafted an abstract for a Creative Writing workshop for a conference here in Kuching and pitched a proposal for another workshop in Miri. Then I followed up on an interview for International Living, a US magazine for expatriates, by sending some suggestions and catchy photos, including one of me holding a crocodile on the set of Anna and the King.

In addition to teaching at Unimas and writing in my journal, I also took notes on an article ideas, pondered a few rejections, finished reading Perrine’s Story and Structure (11th edition, a college textbook anthology of short stories while re-educating myself to take my writing to the next level) and did the preliminary work for judging the Azam-Petronas Writers Awards. (I’m one of the judges for the Media section.)

Even now I’m posting this blog.

Yes, writing is a little of this and a little of that.
            -Robert Raymer, Borneo Expat Writer

*Update, the 20th anniversary of Lovers and Strangers Revisited 

**Here's the link to my website, to MPH online for orders for all three of my books, including my latest, Spirit of Malaysia and for Trois autres Malaisie.

2 comments:

Hanani said...

Wow, you're planning a workshop in Miri & Kuching? That's awesome! I just read Tropical Affairs and proved you wrong on the 'Malaysians don't read very much' part and that we don't read novels set in Malaysia. Though in order to prove you wrong, RM32.90 flew out of someone's wallet lol :)

BorneoExpatWriter said...

Hanani,

Thanks! Consider it an investment that will someday inspire you to write about your own adventures and misadventures -- this is the very topic of my next Quill article that will be coming out in April-June 2010! (And a lot of writing tips, too!) All the best, and again thanks! Robert